I'll Tell You Three Things

 She wasn't supposed to go to the party. She was supposed to be on bed rest for at least six months. However, the party was being thrown by her best friend and she was aware of how many of the invited guests would not be there. She insisted on being there for her friend. 

There were plenty of seats, including a gigantic sectional sofa. She sat with other guests but didn't participate in the chatter or the games. Every once in a while she would say something like "really?" or "that sounds nice", but she was quiet and a bit afraid she seemed like a snob. 

Photo by Adam Jang on Unsplash

There was a short break in the middle so a few could go outside and smoke. That left a few of us sitting inside. Well, except for me. Somehow I found myself standing in front of three grown women, giving a lecture on how society "norms" should accommodate people who were convalescing. She should have felt comfortable asking for the corner and one side of the sofa to lay back and participate from a comfortable spot. A person in her position should not feel she has to make a choice between fun socialization or comfort when there is a way for her to have both. 

I'm Not A Speaker...

Then I realized all three strangers were looking at me. Not only were they looking at me, they were LISTENING. AND I was actually COMFORTABLE with it.  As far as impromptu speeches go, it wasn't all that enlightening, but I hope what I had to say influences and spreads to many more. 

Let's make it normal to include everyone without making them feel as though they are a special case. 

Let's keep it real. 

Side note: The party was a Pure Romance party. If you are a woman who has never attended one, let me tell you it is not what you might imagine it would be. Go to one. You'll love it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment