An Uneducated Rant About This Flat Earth

Other than the historical references to a flat earth I learned about in elementary school, I had never heard of the flat earth theory. Until just recently, I would never have believed there were actually large groups of people out there who believe the earth is flat and that the whole sphere idea is a global... er... landwide conspiracy to keep us from knowing the truth. Aside from the silliness of a flat earth, I want to know how governments, NASA and scientists everywhere benefit from fooling the entire population.

I'm a bit behind the times when it comes to this "new" conspiracy theory, so one of my first questions was how flat earthers explain how we travel in one direction and get to the other side of the world. I googled it.  It is the Pac-Man theory. We don't really travel around the globe. When we reach the far east, we are immediately transported to the west side of this flat piece of earth.  Aha! That makes perfect sense. 

Our flat earth is held up by pillars. [What do the pillars stand on? I'm insanely curious to find out more about that...] But not all flat earthers think that is so. Some think it is just a thick, flat, round disc sitting in space. At least I think they believe in space. I haven't looked that up.

Of course there are many more eye-opening "proofs" that our earth is flat, but they too seem to be based on imaginative (video game?) ideas.

I believe in many things. I am also a skeptic. For example, I believe in UFO's. However, I do not believe every sighting and every reported alien abduction is evidence of aliens. I believe people have seen what we call Bigfoot. However, I do not believe every person (probably not even most) who claim to have encountered the creature is living in reality.

I can't begin to wrap my mind around the flat earth theory (note the silly little pun).  And oh yeah. Some of the flat earthers will even tell you that dinosaurs never walked the earth. They were invented by people who wanted to fool us -- the same people who want us to believe our planet is round.

What? What? What?! 

Why? 


No comments:

Post a Comment